The Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law D.C. Program offers a unique opportunity for second- and third-year law students who seek legal experience in Washington D.C. Students who come to D.C. as part of the D.C. Program are able to take advantage of the incredible number of opportunities within the D.C.-metro area. Whether you are interested in federal government work, legislative, NGO, non-profit organizations, or firms, D.C. offers a huge variety of legal experiences that will fit any law student’s interests and prepare you for legal work anywhere in the world.
Washington, D.C. Legal Externship Program
Frequently asked questions about the Washington, D.C. Externship program
Sudents can spend up to a year in D.C. This means that students can spend two academic semesters and summer(s) here if they would like. This allows students to take advantage of the huge variety of opportunities in the D.C.-metro area.
Students are able to take up to 12 hours of externship credits. Please contact career services for more information about externship credits and requirements.
- Cleary Gottleib Steen & Hamilton; Student Associate
- Knobbe Martens; Student Associate
- McCain Institute; Fellow/Junior Fellow
- U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Oversight and Reform; Law Clerk
- Department of the Solicitor General – Division of Indian Affairs; Legal Extern
- Senate; Legal Intern for Senator
- Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights; Legal Intern
- The Second Look Project; Law Clerk
- Department of Justice, Environment and Natural Resources Division, Environmental Crimes; Law Clerk
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs; Legal Fellow
- Bipartisan Policy Center; Intern
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration; Intern
- U.S. Court of Claims; Extern
- APP Association; Law Clerk