Master of Sports Law and Business

Master of Sports Law and Business

Request more information

36

Total credit hours

80%

of 2021 graduates have sports jobs/internships within 6 months of graduation

93%

of faculty actively works in sports industry while teaching

The Allan “Bud” Selig Sports Law and Business program at the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University is centrally located in vibrant downtown Phoenix. This unique program blends sports, law, and business from a nationally ranked law school with world-class faculty, including MLB Commissioner Emeritus Allan “Bud” Selig. Phoenix is a destination for the next generation of sports professionals, boasting opportunities for working, learning, and networking in every major industry in American sports.

MSLB Faculty and Staff

The Allan “Bud” Selig Sports Law and Business program has an impressive roster of faculty who bring an extensive amount of expertise to the program. The MSLB faculty provide unique insight into many sports professions and dedicate their time to help MSLB students confidently and successfully navigate the sports industry.

MSLB Graduate Assistants

FAQ

The Selig Sports Law and Business Program is a master’s program that is housed in the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law at Arizona State University. Graduates of this program will receive a master’s degree, not a J.D. degree. Applicants apply directly to the SLB program and are not required to complete the law application or take the LSAT unless they plan to pursue a concurrent JD/MSLB degree.

The MSLB degree is designed for students to achieve any desired path in the sports following graduation. Alumni of the program have gone on to jobs in the sports industry in areas such as operations, marketing/branding, compliance/legal, sales, community relations, communications, business development, sponsorships, student athlete/player development, and more.

The SLB program is comprised of 36 total credits and can be completed in either one year or two years, based on the preference of the student. 58% of the 2021 cohort is on a two-year track, with the other 42% on a one-year track. Graduate Assistants with Sun Devil Athletics are required to do the program in two years due to work commitments.

Yes, an internship is required as part of the SLB curriculum. It is the responsibility of the student to secure an internship, but the SLB department will assist as best as we can in finding an internship. If the internship is completed over the summer, the student will have to pay for the summer credits through ASU.

No, the SLB program is only available in-person with no online option.

Applicants must submit the SLB application, resume, personal statement, two references, and an elevator/marketing pitch to apply for the SLB program. Go to the SLB admission page for full application requirements and our application timeline.

The three main factors considered by the admissions committee are previous sports experience, academic performance, and quality of your application materials. For reference, the median GPA for our 2021 class was 3.55 and 100% of students in the 2020 and 2021 classes had previous sports experience, which includes volunteering, internships, jobs, and student athlete experience.

The cost of this program can be found on the tuition and fees page. For more information about program and tuition fees, please reach out to Eric Border at eric.border@asu.edu.

The SLB program offers two Selig Scholarships each year, along with several graduate assistant positions with the program. Outside of the program, Sun Devil Athletics offers graduate assistant positions, including a select few that are only offered to SLB students. You can read more about these positions here.

 

Yes, the Sports Law and Business Program is open to and welcomes international students.

To stay up to date on the Sports Law and Business Program, follow our social media accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (@SeligSLB) as well as our LinkedIn. If you have any additional questions, reach out to the program at mslbasu@asu.edu.