Under the supervision of experienced attorneys, Certified Limited Practice Students who participate in the Prosecution Clinic prosecute both misdemeanor and felony cases in Maricopa County and city courts. Students are responsible for a full range of trial-related tasks. They are initially assigned minor trials, then more difficult cases as the semester progresses. By the end of the semester, students may have an opportunity to participate in at least one jury trial.
What students do:
Criminal cases are assigned to students who are then responsible for preparing cases for trial and trying cases, if necessary. Classroom work helps equip students with the necessary skills needed for the courtroom, such as preparing opening statements, direct examination, cross-examination, and closing arguments.
It is the goal of this clinic for each student to receive the maximum amount of in-court trial experience. By the end of the semester each student should have the opportunity to participate in at least one jury trial. Criminal cases are assigned to students and the student has the responsibility to prepare the case for trial and try the case if necessary. Students are placed in various offices, and work under the supervision of experienced prosecutors.
The Prosecution Clinic is a one-semester course.
- Credits: six credits (three graded and three pass/fail)
- Pre-Requisite: Evidence / Pre- or Co-Requisite(s): Civil Procedure, Criminal Law and Professional Responsibility
- Trial Advocacy may not be taken the same semester as this clinic
- FOR SUMMER CLINIC ONLY - Rising 2L's cannot apply
- Must be Rule 39 certified after acceptance to clinic.
- Students must work a minimum of 260 hours per semester with their assigned agency plus class time which is two to four hours per week.
- Fall or Spring Semester – Minimum of 20 hours per week with agency. Students must be available to work full days on Tuesday and Thursday, plus one additional half-day during the week plus two to four hours of class time each week.
- Summer Semester - Students will work full-time, Monday through Friday plus four hours of class time each week.
Student Applications Dates for Clinic:
Applications: September 24th through October 24th, 2021
Offers extended to students: October 29th, 2021
Student acceptances due: November 1st, 2021 by 5 pm
Application period: January X - February X, 2022
Offers extended to students: February X, 2022
Student acceptances due: March X, 2022 by 5 pm
**IMPORTANT!* - Pursuant to the Statement of Student Policies, Clinics – Students who have applied for a clinic and have been accepted may decline upon offer without consequence. However, once a student has accepted a clinic offered, any student who drops the clinic without prior approval by the dean’s designee will be subject to the 12-month ban.
Students may apply via Atlas during the application period listed above.